ANTIVIRALS FOR HERPES VIRUS
ACYCLOVIR- Alti-Acyclovir, Avlrax,
BASIC VALTREX INFO
Habit forming? No
Prescription needed? Yes
Available as generic? Yes, for some
Drug class: Antiviral
VALTREX MEDICAL USES
Treatment for symptoms of herpes virus infections (does not cure the disorders). These Infections include herpes simplex, genital herpes and herpes zoster (also known as shingles). Herpes infections may occur on the lips and mouth, genitals, skin and the brain.
- May be used to treat chickenpox and other viral infections as prescribed by your doctor.
- Ganciclovir is used for treatment of cytomegalovirus (CMV) eye infection in persons whose immune system is impaired.
MEDICAL DOSAGE & VALTREX USAGE
How to take VALTREX:
Tablet, capsule or oral suspension: Swallow Valtrex with liquid. If you can't swallow Valtrex whole, open capsule or crumble tablet and take with liquid or food.
- Take Ganciclovir with food and do not open capsule. Other drugs may be taken with or without food.
- Measure oral suspension with specially marked measuring device.
When to take VALTREX:
At the same times each day and night.
work best if started within 48 hours of diagnosis
(or when symptoms first appear).
If you forget a VALTREX dose:
Take Valtrex as soon as you remember up to 2 hours late. If more than 2 hours, wait for next dose (don't double this dose).
What VALTREX does:
Inhibits the growth and spread of the virus there-by decreasing length of infection and lessening the severity of the symptoms.
Time lapse before VALTREX works:
Begins the first day, but may take several days for symptoms (pain, burning and blisters) to improve.
Don't take VALTREX with:
Any other medicine or any dietary supplement without consulting your doctor or pharmacist.
|VALTREX SIDE EFFECTS|
Hives, rash. Intense itching, faintness soon after a dose (anaphylaxis); difficulty breathing.
Common VALTREX Side Effects:
General feeling of illness or discomfort.
Infrequent VALTREX Side Effects:
Headache, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, tiredness, dizziness; with ganciclovir- sore throat and fever, unusual bleeding or bruising, mood changes.
Rare VALTREX Side Effects:
Vision changes, eyes irritated, swelling agitation, confusion, fever, hallucinations, chills, fever, sore throat or mouth, skin (rash, blister, itch, peel), muscle cramps.
|Don't take VALTREX if:
You are allergic to antiviral agents.
Before you start VALTREX, consult your doctor If:
- You have kidney disease or neurological problems.
- You have any disease of the blood.
- You are allergic to any medication, food or other substance.
Over age 60:
No special problems expected.
Risk factors vary for drugs in this group.
- Consult doctor.
- Valtrex may pass into milk.
- Avoid nursing until you finish medicine.
- Consult doctor for advice on maintaining milk supply.
Infants & children:
Use Valtex only under medical supervision.
Prolonged VALTREX use:
- See your doctor for regular visits to check effectiveness of the drug and to check for any blood problems.
Skin & sunlight:
No special problems expected.
Driving, piloting or hazardous work:
- Avoid if you experience dizziness after taking drug, otherwise no problems expected.
- Don't discontinue Valtrex without doctor's advice until you complete prescribed dose, even though symptoms diminish or disappear.
- Advise any doctor or dentist whom you consult that you take Valtrex.
- If symptoms don't improve within a few days, or if they worsen, consult doctor.
- See your eye doctor regularly if you are taking the drug for eye infection.
- If drug is prescribed for genital herpes, be sure you use proper precautions to prevent spreading the disorder to your sexual partner. If unsure, ask your doctor for information.
- Keep affected skin area clean and dry.
- Decrease blister irritation by wearing loose-fitting clothing.